I have spent a total of 3 weeks in my classroom now and I love the kids. They are probably the sweetest, smartest, funniest group of kids I have ever met. Sure, they drive me crazy at times, but I know for sure that teaching is what I want to do for the rest of my life. When I am at my school, I really want to be there. I forget totally that I have to do this for school and at some point work. I have been so fortunate to have the guidance of a wonderful mentor teacher who supports me and encourages questions and an incredible staff. The staff at Butte Creek has been so welcoming and they all want to help me if they can.
As part of the education program at Western Oregon, we have to spend up to 3 hours in four different settings (SLP, ESL, PE, Music, Title I, etc.). I have seen so much in just three weeks and I have gotten to see what some student’s lives must be like. Some are from gang activity areas, some from homes that they are not paid much attention to, and some from very low income/poverty. It’s amazing to me how much these kids attach themselves to you. They hunger for love and attention and real relationships with adults that are POSITIVE and SUPPORTIVE. I have been part of those relationships ever so briefly and I love it. I have taken my life for granted. I have a stable home life, a family who loves me and I am in the middle class so I don’t starve and my parents work hard to put a roof over my brother’s heads and mine. I am so blessed.
I was talking to my mom about some kids I met earlier and she helped me come to the conclusion that these kids are just kids. Some are only 13 years old and involved in gangs. They have rough lives and they put up a front that is scary and dark so no one will want to come near them or they won’t have to tell them their story. Its so sad to think about kids with no real childhood. I need to be there for them whenever they need me no matter how long it takes or how hard it is to reach them. I have to keep trying. That’s how they’ll know I actually care. I was also telling my mom that one kid has a very mean exterior, but I was able to get a smile out of him when I was in the ESL classroom on Wednesday. Who knew a smile and 5 words directed to you could feel so incredible. It really does. This is exactly why I want to be a teacher….teachers make a difference and it can be huge for any student.
No comments:
Post a Comment