Wednesday, October 7, 2009

first visit:)

I went to the school to meet my mentor teacher and the 2nd graders on monday and I have to admit, They are a great group of kids. It's awesome that I can already tell that by now. my mentor teacher is really going to be great to work with. she is really open to trying new things and reassured me plenty of times that her classroom is a safe place to try new things. so many teachers want all of the control so student teachers don't get a chance to explore what we are learning in school. 

I met some of the staff too. I heard from a few of the College of Ed. Directors and staff that elementary teachers tend to stare at the 'newbies' on the first day to try and size them up. when i first walked in the door i was more than ready to be professional and really wow the staff. i didn't want to try to prove myself, but since that is what our COE Staff said to be ready to do, i was ready! as soon as I walked in I was welcomed by the secretary, the principal and quite a few of the specialists along with other teachers. I felt welcome instantly and very comfortable. I think this is going to be a good year. I can tell already that the staff is more than ready to help me with anything i may need help doing. 

One of the kids told me that I was 'a good teacher' by the end of the first day. I only took role that one day and read a story to them, and talked about the story, but it was great to hear that feedback from the kids! That made my day. I couldn't stop smiling and that's when i knew that I have chosen the right career! i can't wait to get back in there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment