Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Shack-By William P. Young





I realize it's not Wednesday, but I wanted to write a little review about The Shack. I finished it this morning-I intended to finish it last night, but I fell asleep, so things didn't go according to plan. :)

All I can say is that I am left speechless about this book. It left me thinking about God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. It's one of those books that made me question my faith. Not in a "I don't know if I believe in God anymore" kind of ways, but rather in the "What if that's what God/Heaven/Jesus is really like" It got me asking and thinking about things that I hadn't thought about before. I know that it's a controversial book, and I know a lot of people who have read it and felt disgusted or appalled by a few ideas in the book, but for me, it was a journey through literature that I think will ultimately bring me closer to Jesus. I am Catholic and I have a very personal relationship with Jesus. I pray, go to confession, mass, vigils, live my life the best way I can with Jesus always at the center of it, adoration, service, it goes on and on....The questions I have had while I was reading the book are those that I am going to pray on and hopefully some day I will be walking on water and rejoicing with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and a world that is beautiful and happy...

on that note, here are some thoughts/questions I had as I was reading the book:
  • Is it possible for God to be a woman and a man in times that we need a Father more than a Mother? what if we grew up with a better mother and a not so great father figure. would God appear to us as a Woman until we were in need of a father or felt safe with a father figure?
  • Father, Son and Holy spirit are one but also separate
  • Relationship over Rules
  • Is Judgment day going to be more about recognizing flaws and learning from them rather than being damned to hell for all eternity?
  • God IS loving and forgiving.
  • Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting. it means being able to move on. God doesn't forget our sins, but he forgives them because he loves us all for our uniqueness.
  • We were created in his eye
  • God doesn't make bad things happen or let them. He uses those bad times and tries to lead us so we can see the good.
  • The Trinity is always with us, no matter where we are. even if we can't feel them
  • Not all roads lead us to Jesus, but Jesus will find us on whatever road we are on.
  • Is Jesus for religion? in the book he doesn't say that he is for religion in the institution sense of the word like we have here on earth. It's about the relationship with him and putting him at the center of your life. a Relationship with him is more important than what religion you belong too...he mentions the institution of marriage...once again, it's not necessarily a who is better than who in marriage, it's a relationship and seeing the other person through Jesus' eyes.
I am interested in any thoughts you may have about this book. I understand that not everyone will agree with what I am saying, but I am asking you to all be open minded to my thoughts and I will be with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment